Thursday, 12 April 2012

The Kids Are Alright!

So, as it's the Easter school hols, I ran a small session yesterday called 'Kids and their K9s' to give some of the junior handlers in my classes a chance to do something themselves with their dogs with minimal adult intervention, and I thoroughly enjoyed it! I think the kids did too...there were lots of smiley faces (from the kids and the dogs!).

I was really impressed with the handling skills of all the children involved - they were all gentle and considerate with the dogs, their rewarding rate was excellent, and they were very encouraging and enthusiastic. It's great to see the next generation of dog handlers (and maybe future dog sport competitors?!) coming through, as these children will be the dog owners of the future, and if we can teach them how to safely and successfully train and bond with their dogs now then we're setting them and the pet dogs of the future up to enjoy better relationships and a brighter future.

Plus it's just good fun! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment