So, it's been a busy few weeks At Four Paws One Direction, with lots of events taking place. I'll be reporting soon on our brilliant day of scentwork with guest trainer Pam Mackinnon of Talking Dogs, and posting some pics and results from our own Agility Easter Fun Day, but first of all I wanted to start with my own particular triumph from the weekend, as I'm so very very proud of my little Whirligig, and so elated to have achieved one of my ambitions for this competitive season already! So please indulge me in a moment of personal triumph!! ;-)
I'm sure my nearest and dearest are already fed up with the constant 'woohoos' that keep coming from me, but I'm just so happy at the moment, as on Saturday my little Whirligig qualified for the UK Agility Beginners Steeplechase finals with her first ever clear round at only her third ever competition. Having been to spectate at the finals at the end of last year, my mum and I were both so excited and inspired that we had in our heads an ambition for this season that we might qualify Whirli and Dazzle so that we too could be there competing this year. We knew the bulk of the qualifiers were early on in the season, and that it might be a bit ambitious to hope that they might be up to the standard so soon in their competitive careers, but we had hope in the back of our heads that with all the foundation work done these two really could be our best ever agility dogs so far, and that they really could be good enough even so early on. And they really have proven that to be so!
We've done three shows so far, and are taking the long term view with them both so have done training rounds so that we can reward good sequences and build value for being in the ring in all of our rounds apart from the qualifiers, despite the fact it was obvious at the first show that they could both have come home with rosettes if we'd wanted to run competitively as both Whirli and Dazzle did stunning training rounds that could have won their classes. The course for the qualifier on Saturday wasn't the easiest in the world (in fact I think it was harder than Willow's Senior Steeplechase course!), but I knew Whirli could do all that was required of her, and whilst there was one slightly hairy moment of wasted time on a very awkward approach to a tunnel, she did a fab job and flew around the course! We were beaten into second place by Amy Lawson and Luna, but you really can't argue with that as Amy's a seasoned and highly talented trainer and competitor, and Luna is a stunning little cocker (and possibly the future mother of my next dog!! Lol!). And as first and second place qualified, I was more than elated with the day's work!!
I'll be sticking with the long term view and will continue to run training rounds to reward contacts, enthusiasm and great efforts for the next few shows, especially now that I've already achieved my season ambition of qualifying for the Steeplechase final, and mum and Dazzle will be doing the same, although they have a few qualifiers to try to win so they can join us and the spaniel contingent in the Midi final at the end of the year (mum was doing a lovely round on Saturday but sadly got lost mid-course!)! It's really tempting to want to be able to say that they won up several levels in their first few shows, and I'm sure they are more than capable of it, but we want to build their confidence and enthusiasm at these lower levels for now - there's plenty of time to take home titles yet! After all, they've got at least another 8 or 10 seasons in them yet!! Watch out...spaniels about!! ;-)
Bring on December!!
Shelley & Whirligig
WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete